The-business-of-software: BitWine "Gets it" - Part I

over 16 years ago
alon's photo

Alon Cohen (alon)

239 posts

BitWine, Part I [BitWine “Gets it”]

Back on the Instant Service Network thread, I’ve finally had a chance to look at BitWine in detail. Like some of the other businesses on which I’ve written here, BitWine provides an online marketplace for instant advice on a variety of topics. However, more than any of the other Instant Service Networks, I believe that BitWine best understands the concept and the challenges of this new business model.

BitWine provides a structured marketplace, matching advisors with people who want help, classified into dozens of categories. BitWine provides technical the underpinnings to connect people, and handle payment (like many of these services, they leverage Skype for voice communications, and PayPal for payment).

BitWine provides a well-thought-out hierarchy of categories, including Arts & Creative Services, Computers & Technology, Home & Leisure, Sports, and Travel. Judging by the number of advisors who’ve signed up, they’ve managed to attract a broad and deep audience, who, in general, tend to price themselves as $2 per minute or less. Some folks offer free advice, presumably to get some experience with the system and build up their feedback ratings. Their website is clear, easy to understand, and easy to work with.

Of course, recruiting advisors is the easy part. In my next few entries, I’ll focus on the two primary challenges facing BitWine (and all Instant Service Networks), and offer my opinions and recommendations.

Posted by Jason Garbis at 8:39 AM

Read all about it: http://the-business-of-software.blogspot.com/2007/09/bitwine-part-i.html